Most people think that arthritis is the condition of having pain, stiff joints. Indeed, arthritis involves many various types, and it can attack any joints in the body. Some of them can cause painful feeling, swelling, warm and red joints. The type causing the symptoms is less troublesome, but gradually damages your joints. Even though this disease can attack both children and adults, arthritis in the elderly occurs more often.
Arthritis is one of the most common diseases in this country. This disease has affected nearly half of elderly over 65 years old. Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout are three usual types occur in the elderly. A bag filled with liquid including bone where cartilage surrounding the join. The bags called bursae. A change in the structure of this surface or an inflammation interferes with proper business activities. This then can lead to a decrease in the surface to create friction, pain, and loss of flexibility.
- General knowledge about arthritis
- Arthritis in the elderly
- Common types of arthritis in older people
- Common signs of arthritis in the elderly
- Useful treatments
General knowledge about arthritis
Arthritis is one way to describe the pain caused by inflammation of one or more of your joints. The symptoms of pain, stiffness and even swelling can be frequent or infrequent and mild to severe. Arthritis symptoms can last for several years and even worse over time.
Arthritis in the elderly
Since 2010-2012, nearly 50% of adults aged 65 and older in the United States told the doctor that they have some form of arthritis in the joints. Arthritis in the elderly is a chronic degenerative joint disease that is very common to have been caused by many years of common use and stress on the tissues around them as well as genetic factors. It results in an inflammation and / or deterioration of bones and joints. Elderly people with arthritis may have more than one in a hundred forms of arthritis, all of the results in the degree of pain and discomfort is different and why information arthritis lots available.
The impact of the joints on the older Adult
- Reduce independence
- Increase the reduction / walking unsteadily
- Difficult to take care of yourself
- Increased use of health care services
- The psychological impact: crisis depends fear anxiety
Arthritis in the elderly is no different than the younger patients. The difference is the way the body processes drugs and how drugs affect their internal organs such as: liver and kidneys in both reducing the size exceeds 70, and the drug metabolism age excretion can be affected by the aging process; management arthritis in the elderly of chronic arthritis pain; older patients must have medical review and other drugs, the disease is consistent with the individual and include non-pharmacological and pharmacological interventions based on an accurate diagnosis
Common types of arthritis in older people
Osteoarthritis is the most common type of joint problems happening in older people. OA starts when cartilage begins to become ragged and worn away. Joint stiffness and pain characterize the condition often severe depression. Pain is usually caused by a loss of cartilage and soft lines the joints. With less cartilage, bone joints become inflamed and swollen. At the worst of arthritis, the cartilage in the joints all worn away, leaving bone rubbing against each other. New, abnormal bone formation and bone may be present can be destroyed or reshaped to form the most significant breach in hand.
What causes arthritis? Growing old is what usually makes you at risk for arthritis. Other than that, scientists think the cause depends on which part of the body concerned. Many different factors can play a role for examples:
Arthritis in the hands or hips may run in families:
Some joints like knees bear the burden of body weight of a special someone and risk. Weight gain increases the likelihood of developing osteoarthritis
Injuries or overuse
Athletes and those who have jobs that requires repetitive motion (landscape, typed or operating machinery) at high risk of developing osteoarthritis, trauma and increased stress on certain joints. Soft tissue injury can lead to osteoarthritis. It can also occur in the joints affected by previous fractures and surgery.
It is also more common in the joints that do not fit together very well, such as who was bowlegged or occasionally connected. Having these characteristics, however, does not mean that will develop osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis symptoms can range from mild stiffness and pain coming and going with activities such as walking, bending or stooping to severe pain that kept even when resting or trying to sleep:
- One of the main symptoms of Osteoarthritis is its effect on the articular cartilage of a person
- In someone with osteoarthritis, the cartilage around the joints affected begin to die and go away
- This, in turn, makes the bones in the joint to rub directly started together, can be extremely painful
- It is also common for this to lead to bone fragments to break off, which can cause infection and disabilities.
- In the body, any business can be victims of the effects of osteoarthritis. It is usually found in the joints such as the hips and knees, which is heavily but it can also be found in smaller joints such as hands
- In most cases, only a portion of a pair will be affected by the disease, for example, in a person with knee osteoarthritis, if infected right knee, left knee usually will not affected.
- Pain, swelling or numbness in one or more joints
- Pain or stiffness in your back or neck
- Pain and stiffness after heavy activity, such as gardening or doing housework or walking a long and wake up in the morning
- Light activity can actually reduce some symptoms
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis is also classified as an autoimmune disorder, which means it makes the immune system attack the body’s own. It is a disease mediating immune attack and undermining or destroying cartilage. The immune system is used to fight infections, but in people with rheumatoid arthritis, the body thinks that business is actually an infection. As a result, the cells in the body begin to attack and break the joints, causing rheumatoid arthritis. Weakened tendons lead to deformation and dysfunction of joints. Usually there is swelling of the hands, wrists, at least three joints (joints together on both sides of the body are affected), bumps under the skin and hard light. There are several different diseases, as well as response to treatment. Rheumatoid arthritis is one of the conditions in Scholgren’s syndrome. If you had a scrap of your fingers, the fingers will become inflamed, pain, redness, and swelling, you must careful about this disease. RA inflammation leads to your joints. This inflammation causes pain, swelling, and stiffness lasts for hours. This can often happen in many different joints at once. You even cannot move the joint. People with RA often feel unwell. They may be tired or have a fever. People of all ages can develop RA, and it is more common in women.
If you have RA in a joint on one side of the body, the joint on the other side of your body is likely to have RA also. RA is not only joint destruction. It can also attack organs such as the heart, muscles, blood vessels, nervous system and eyes. The exact trigger of autoimmune disorders is not known.
Rheumatoid arthritis shares some similarities with osteoarthritis, usually means uniformly affected joints. The symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis
- Pain: It is usually a sharp pain, and pain, often worse inthe morning and generally feel at rest, rather than after operation
- Stiffness: Joints affected hardness can feel stiff, especially in the morning and can last longer than half an hour.
- Warm and red – As the lining of the affected joint becomes inflamed, it can cause joints to swell, become hot, tender and painful to touch
- Some other less common types
Other forms of arthritis including psoriatic arthritis (in people with the skin condition psoriasis), ankylosing spondylitis (which mainly affects the spine), reactive arthritis (arthritis occurs as a reaction to other diseases in the body), and arthritis in the joint (jaw participation where the skull).
Gout: Gout is described as an attack can begin when crystals of uric acid in connective tissue and / or other public spaces. Alcohol use, obesity, and certain medications can also make gout worse. In older people, some antihypertensive drugs can also increase the chance of a gout attack.
Infectious Arthritis: This is the only type of arthritis caused by bacteria, viruses or fungi in joint inflammation and activation. Food poisoning, some sexually transmitted infection, and hepatitis C infection can cause arthritis.
Metabolism Arthritis: Uric acid is normally formed in the body to break down purines, found in cells and food. There is excessive uric acid can cause the needles in participation, which can lead to sudden spikes extreme joint pain or gout.
Common signs of arthritis in the elderly
Some signs and symptoms of early arthritis and discount rejected by individuals attribute their symptoms to “aging”. Although arthritis is not a curable condition, earlier a diagnosis is made, appropriate treatment can be started earlier than that hopes to prevent further joint damage. Signs that you may have arthritis include:
- Lasting joint pain
- Swelling portion
- Hardness section
- Pain or tenderness in part
- The issue of use or move a normal part
- Warmth and redness in a joint
- Early morning stiffness
- Swollen part in at least one place
- Loss of joint flexibility
- Redness, warmth, tenderness or pain in any joint
- Fever, weakness and / or unexplained weight loss may also be accompanied by signs and symptoms.
If you have a fever, feel sick physically, suddenly has a swollen joints, or have problems with your general use, see your doctor sooner.
Each type of arthritis is treated a little differently, but there are some common treatment options. Relieving pain is the primary goal in the treatment of arthritis in the elderly, which of course increases the comfort and effectiveness of daily operations. It was followed closely by the recovery of the match, when possible, and maintains function. Some suggested treaments:
Along with the right medication and the right way to rest your joints, exercise is a good way to stay fit, keep healthy muscles, and control the symptoms of arthritis in the elderly. Lose weight if appropriate to reduce stress on weight-bearing joints. Some exercises such as walking, cycling and swimming are encouraged, but if the exercise increases the pain, stop immediately.
- The scope of collective action: Dance and yoga are reduced stiffness, keep you flexible, and helps you keep your joints moving.
- The strengthening exercises: Weight training will keep or build muscle strength. strong muscles support and protect your joints.
- Aerobic and Endurance Exercise: riding bikes and running make for a healthy heart and arteries of you, help prevent weight gain and improve the overall operation of the body. Swelling in joints can also be reduced by aerobic.
Heat and Cold
Use heat and / or ice to the specific area. Arthritis responds better to the warm conditions. You can find comfort by applying heat or cold, soaking in a tub of warm water, or swim in the heated pool. A hot water bottle, warm bath or hot electric blanket wrapped or microwave can relieve the pain and stiffness and avoid getting too cold
This can be useful in improving muscle, reduces stiffness and maintain mobile. For examples: walking aids; shoe inserts, good shoes and a walking stick can help knee pain, hip and leg.
In addition, there are drugs that can help with the pain and swelling. Acetaminophen can safely reduce arthritis pain. Some NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs): Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Paracetamol has analgesic, killer. Other NSAIDs should be prescribed by a doctor. However, to avoid the side effects of this drugs bring, you had better consult your doctor.
Removal of synovial fluid and replace it with an anti-inflammatory (steroid) medicines
Your doctor may suggest surgery when damage to your joints is disabled or when other treatments do not help with the pain. Modern surgery can give excellent results in the relief of heavy pan for most of the match. New technologies and improved artificial joints all the time and so do not need to suffer severe pain
There are other ways to reduce pain around the joints. Recent studies show that Chinese acupuncture can reduce arthritis pain for some people. The supplements of glucosamine and chondroitin have been proved to relieve arthritis pain. However, more information is needed before anyone can be sure.