Arthritis is known conclusions are different types, and Fibromyalgia are one of them. It usually begins in adulthood average, but can occur in adolescence and old age. Both men and women can have risk of this disease, however, the prevalence of women is higher. Read this article for more information about the disease.
Fibromyalgia is not a disease, but a constellation of symptoms can be managed. It is not life-threatening and does not lead to muscle or joint damage. Fibromyalgia (FM) affects people in all aspects of physical, mental and social. An infectious disease, physical injury, emotional trauma or hormonal changes can trigger the development of pain, fatigue and sleep disorders characterized essential for this condition.
Now we know that fibromyalgia is not related to arthritis or degeneration, although the symptoms can sometimes be very similar. Fibromyalgia itself does not cause any long-term damage to the body’s tissues. However, it is important to keep working as you can to avoid the weakening of the muscle (deconditioning) that can lead to minor problems.
The affected patients
Fibromyalgia affects mostly women between the ages of 40 and 75, but it also affects men, young women and children. Moreover, patients of other types of arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus, are at higher risk for fibromyalgia. Overweight and inactive can be considered as the risk for developing fibromyalgia. Although the doctors did not prove a genetic link or common genetic types, the fact shows that fibromyalgia can happen with members in one family. Therefore, it is suggested that a predisposed gene that develop fibromyalgia may exist.
The cause of fibromyalgia has not been discovered exactly yet. However, researchers have found some facts to explain for the cause of this disease. Usually there are some factors that can trigger fibromyalgia created. It may be a matter of the spine, arthritis, injury, or other types of stress. Emotional stress can also cause this disease. The result is a change in the way the body “talk” to the spinal cord and brain.
In addition to patient reports, studies brain images confirmed that the fibromyalgia patients are provided a small amount of pressure or heat, they experience a much higher amount of pain, as if “volume control” is set too high on pain processing. Whether these abnormalities are a cause or a result of fibromyalgia is unknown.
There are some scientists who doubt that lack of exercise and changes in the metabolism of the body play a role in fibromyalgia or vice versa, abused muscles, may be the key.
Sleep disorder, a symptom of fibromyalgia, can also be a cause. Sleep disorders reduces the production of a growth hormone critical for muscle repair.
Established a link exists between fibromyalgia and depression, but does anyone know if depression is a cause or effect of fibromyalgia.
Recent studies show that genetic factors can influence individuals to a genetic susceptibility to FM. For some people, the onset of FM is slow.
What seems to be true that all of these conditions can contribute to fibromyalgia because of various reasons.
As the most common sign, widespread musculoskeletal pain usually happens with fibromyalgia patients. It usually occurs in multiple locations throughout the body, although it can start in one area, such as the neck and shoulders, and then happened at other locations over a period of time.
There are many types of pain in fibromyalgia such as burning, aching, stiffness or soreness. The patients may suffer the pain in specific period time of day, weather or during sleep. Others even feel the permanent degree of pain.
The bidding areas or points associated with fibromyalgia are similar in location to tender areas present in other common types of muscular and skeletal pain, such as tennis elbow (epicondylitis side). More muscle and soft tissue areas can be painful as well. People often are not aware of the presence of a lot of tender points until a physician to perform an evaluation of the bidding.
Unlike the tired after busy time or because of sleepless, the fatigue of FM is a masterpiece that includes all, can interfere in the professional activities, personal, social or educational. Symptoms include profound fatigue and poor stamina. Sometimes the fatigue is severe and it may be a bigger problem than the pain.
- Sleep Problems
Many fibromyalgia patients sleep disorder related help prevent them from getting deep, quiet, sleep recovery. Sleep problems have the various symptoms in different people. For examples: difficult to sleep; sleep lightly and disturbed; feeling tired after sleeping overnight. Fatigue can range from listlessness to burnout, and can change from one day to the next.
- Mood; memory and concentration problems
With fibromyalgia patient, sadness, anxiety and depression are not strange. However, anyone with a chronic illness – not just fibromyalgia – may feel depressed at times while struggling with pain and tired of them. The ability of memory and concentration in fibromyalgia patients decrease noticeably, especially with some mental tasks.
- Other less common signs
Headaches are another sign of people with fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia may also be associated with the pain of the jaw and facial muscles (called the solar joint disorder or TMJ syndrome) or myofascial (musculoskeletal) pain in one area of the body. These sometimes considered a form of fibromyalgia in the region, local or incomplete.
Abdominal pain, bloating and constipation and diarrhea alternating (known as irritable bowel syndrome or colon spasms) is also very popular. Bladder spasms and irritation can cause frequent urination or the urge to urinate. Chronic pelvic pain may also be experienced. Although less common, dizziness, skin sensitivity and rashes, dry eyes and mouth, vision problems,… are seemed as fibromyalgia symptoms.
Visit your doctor as soon as you see your fibromyalgia symptoms. They can be triggered or made worse by a number of factors, including: changes in weather; hard physical labor; stress; infection; allergic; overexertion; other musculoskeletal disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis. You may be more likely to develop fibromyalgia if a relative has the condition.
The pain and lack of sleep is associated with fibromyalgia can hamper your ability to work at home or at work. The frustration of dealing with an often-misunderstood condition can also lead to depression and anxiety-related health.
Because of the various symptoms and the similar underestimate with other diseases, fibromyalgia is difficult to diagnose. In the past, doctors will examine 18 specific points on the body of a person to see how many of them were hurt when pressed. Now, a physical examination can be applied to diagnose. Although there are no diagnostic tests such as X-rays to this problem, signs that a diagnosis of fibromyalgia are:
- Widespread pain index (WPI) numbers: The WPI list of 19 areas of the body, where it’s common for people with fibromyalgia have pain. You get one point for each selected area.
- Symptom Severity (SS) scores, which you rank the symptoms (such as tired, awareness, depression, headaches,…) on a scale of 0-3
A simple blood test can also be recommended, including:
- Complete blood count
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate
- Thyroid function tests
There is no cure for fibromyalgia. However, the symptoms can be treated with both drug treatments and no medication. Effective management begins with an accurate diagnosis.
Pain, sleep problems or depression can be eased with some medication. Because you may have side effects when using these medicines, ask your doctor carefully before choosing what kind of medicines to use. There have been some common drugs as medication of fibromyalgia:
- Antidepressants: help ease the pain and fatigue related to fibromyalgia and even promote sleep.
- Anti-epileptic drugs: treat epilepsy in reducing some types of pain.
Treatments outside the medical
- Exercise: aerobics exercise can help manage symptoms such as pain, fatigue and sleep disturbances. However, you should start from low level. Additionally, Tai Chi and yoga can be the alternatives to reduce the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy: understand the thoughts and behaviors affect the pain and other symptoms can help patients learn skills that reduce symptoms as pain relief.
- Manage stress and relax: planning, relaxation, assertiveness and emotional management.
- Balance rest and activity – plan your activities to make the most of your energy by alternating periods of activity with rest. Divide large tasks into smaller parts.
- Biofeedback: teaches people how to change physiological functions, such as slow a racing heart rate or muscle relaxation or tightly clasped.
- Acupuncture and massage – this can help relax muscles and stress management.
- Nutrition – eat a balanced diet can help provide you with a better energy level, helps maintain your weight, and give you a greater sense of health.
Self – Care
Together with many treatment options, patient self-care cannot be ignored. Here are some advantage suggestions:
- Reduce stress. Develop a plan to avoid or limit overexertion and emotional stress. Allow yourself time each day to relax. That may mean learning how to say no without feeling guilty. But try not to change your habits completely. Stress management techniques, such as breathing exercises, and learn how to manage fatigue by techniques, such as alternating periods of activity with periods of rest pacing.
- Adequate sleep: getting sufficient sleep is essential. Also, try to practice good sleep habits, such as going to bed and waking up at the same time each day and limiting daytime naps. By practicing the sleep hygiene techniques, such as reducing caffeine in the diet, relaxation tapes using before bed, and keeping regular bed and wake time, sleep can often significantly improved
- Exercise regularly. Exercise is a very important aspect of the management of fibromyalgia. At first, exercise can increase your pain, so do it slowly, gradually and regularly, you can see it reduce your painful symptoms. Appropriate exercises can include walking, swimming, biking and water aerobics. Stretching, good posture and relaxation exercises are also helpful.
- Accelerate for themselves: Keep your activities on a level. If you do too much on your good days, you may have more bad days. Censorship means not overdone on your good days, but likewise it means not limit yourself or do too little on the days when symptoms flare.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Healthy eating. Restrict your coffee. Do something that you find interesting and make every day.
In conclusion, fibromyalgia is one of the common forms of arthritis. Whenever you see your body have the signs and symptoms of this disease, talk to your doctor to find out the positive methods to treat as soon as you can. With all information we provided in this article, hope that you find it detailed and can make useful of it!